Saturday, October 10, 2009

xword faxtx


Things I learned today from the puzzle:
  • I am better at puns and tricky cluing than knowing stuff.
  • "Japan's national diet" refers to Japan's legislature and is BICAMERAL. I think diet should be capitalized.
  • "Reeve" now means some sort of administrative official, but in feudalistic times, the Reeve was the overseer of the Manor. I guess I should know this from The Canterbury Tales. Actually, the webpage for this Chaucer class at Harvard looks pretty interesting, as it has interlinear translations of all the stories: English E-115b.
  • NINA is a song by Noel Coward about "Senorita Nina from Argentina". He was old-timey.
Otherwise, not much new to me today, as the puzzle was more about tricky cluing than tricky knowledge.

[Image: FRED TOMASELLI, Glassy, 2006, via]

No comments: