Wednesday, October 7, 2009

time and time again



Here are some things I learned from today's NYT xword puzzle:
  • Pretty much every word in the English language can be followed by TIME to form a compound word or phrase.
  • Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote DRED, the novel on which the film Judge "I am the law!" Dredd was based. That would have been funnier if Dred and Dredd were spelled the same way. Maybe not.
  • RATTER is a word, and it means what it sounds like.
  • I think this was in yesterday's as well -- you can "pinch" a TOE. I have no idea what that means. I tried googling, does not appear to be a common phrase. Perhaps that is how you catch a tiger by the toe? You know, in a toe pinch?
  • The duke of Wallachia from 1436-1447 was a dragon named VLAD (Vlad II Dracul). He was the father of Vlad the Impaler (aka Dracula) and Radu the Handsome.
[Images from Dino Buzzati's Poema a fumetti (1969), Poem Strip (NYRB, 2009), via A Journey Around My Skull]

No comments: