Tuesday, October 13, 2009

windows tips!

Two things:
  1. McAfee Site Adviser + Firefox v. 3.5.3 = crash. Firefox had been crashing a few times a day for me. Since I disabled the McAfee Site Adviser, it hasn't crashed.
  2. I use the savefig.m function to write pdfs from Matlab. This uses Ghostscript, and I just installed Ghostscript v. 8.70. Ghostscript was producing pdfs in version 1.5. I usually collect all the pdfs I generate into a single pdf using Latex + includegraphics. I was having trouble with this, as the pdfTeX (installed through MiKTex) apparently is only compatible with version 1.4 pdfs. Here is the warning I was getting:
    pdfTeX warning: pdflatex (file *****): PDF inclusion: found PDF version <1.5>, but at most version <1.4> allowed
    So the solution was to change the compatibility level in the compression settings to "-dCompatibilityLevel=1.4" (line 109 of the file).
I don't know who these tips will be useful for, but ... I felt like writing them down.

No comments: