Friday, October 9, 2009

hotstuff with a hatpin: google suggests makes me giggle, no exit makes me cackle, self-awareness makes me uncomfortable

Something to do: I don't know why, but "Google suggests" faux-pas's always make me giggle. The Huff Post has a list of them today: Most Inappropriate Google Suggests of All Time. Here's another list from a couple weeks ago: 11 Things Google Should Atone for on its 11th Anniversary. Try them out and giggle for yourself!

Something to read: The New Republic's latest article on Betsy McCaughey, No Exit. I was not aware of the whole sordid history of her political career during the '90's. She sounds like the most unpleasant kind of loon, and a lot like Sarah Palin, but perhaps smarter. The article starts out a bit insulting, describing the way this 60-year-old woman dressed as like an "on-the-prowl cougar" because she wears "short, high-slit skirts, revealing blouses, and spike heels". I have trouble believing that she was actually wearing truly revealing clothing. Come on, she's 60! Anyways, after that, the article was informative to me, and fun to read. I was aware of her TNR article during the 90's, and her more recent health care reform misinformation, and I saw her performance on The Daily Show. But the stories of her stint as lieutenant governor of New York and her campaign for governor were quite interesting and entertaining. I recommend it.

Something to let fester in your mind: I read a long time ago about how people distance themselves from people they are talking about by saying things like "Your friend Tiberius called" rather than saying "Tiberius called". The example I read about was how Bill Clinton used "this woman" instead of Monica Lewinsky back in the day. I do this distancing all the time cuz I am shy and feel the need to distance myself from everyone but my closest friends and family. And now that I am aware of it, I notice it and cringe at my own cowardice. I told Kyle about this earlier today, and have succeeded in making him self-conscious as well. I hate being aware of stuff.

[Image from Huffington Post]

No comments: