Friday, October 9, 2009

nyt xword faxtx

Lots of new stuff for me today in the NYT xword:
  • PETESEEGER has been called "America's Tuning Fork", whatever that means. I learned these facts before today: Pete Seeger is not related to Bob Seger (note the spelling difference), but is related to Mike Seeger, who died recently.
  • SANTACLAUS does not read my letters! ("Letter greeting never read by it's intended recipient"). Just kidding, I've never written a letter to Santa. I once wrote a letter to my little brother pretending to be Santa, though ... I was trying to give him the gift of childhood wonder for Xmas.
  • A PASEO is not just a mall, but also a "scenic walk".
  • There aren't just I-beams and T-bars, but also LBARS ("angle irons").
  • The "all-time strike-out leader" is not Nolan Ryan (aka The Ryan Express) but Reggie Jackson (aka MROCTOBER), who apparently has struck out 2,597 times.
[Image: Schiehallion in Perthshire, Scotland, guardian.co.uk]

No comments: