Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Latex for Inkscape

For some reason the default renderer for Latex equations in Inkscape stopped working for me (I think it used to work ...). In any case, I just installed the textext extension. I thought I'd post the steps that worked for me. I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy.
  1. Install pdf2svg. I don't know if this was necessary. I already had pstoedit installed, but I was first trying to fix eqtexsvg which I believe ships with Inkscape. I followed the instructions provided at http://www.cityinthesky.co.uk/pdf2svg.html verbatim.
  2. Download the textext tar ball from http://www.elisanet.fi/ptvirtan/software/textext/.
  3. Unarchive, and copy textext.inx and textext.py to /usr/share/inkscape/extensions . Note that the installation instructions claimed that you could put this in $HOME/.inkscape/extensions, but the extensions subdirectory did not exist for me and creating one and placing the relevant files inside did nothing. This was the only confusing part of the installation.

No comments: