Sunday, June 28, 2009

if this isn't nice, i don't know what is


Glow Worms, from Rainforest Explorer

I had an "If this isn't nice, I don't know what is" moment this afternoon. I went to the gym and had a pretty decent workout after a week off of lifting. It was in the high 90s here today, so it was too hot to sit in the apartment. This, combined with the battery on my laptop being virtually juseless, was an excellent excuse not to do any work and instead sit on the step outside my apartment and read. I'm reading River Town by Peter Hessler right now, which is like relaxing with a smarter, worldly, interesting friend at this point (I read Oracle Bones also by Hessler a couple months ago). I listened to "It's Frightening" by White Rabbits on a loop on my iqob, which I have heard enough times by now to be used to it, and really it was just there in the background to detach me slightly more from the world. There was a nice breeze, and it was the absolute perfect temperature for sitting in my post-workout soccer shorts and sports bra. Occasionally I would lie back on the sidewalk, which was nice and cool. And it was just so relaxing. After a little while, my favorite stray kitty came for a visit and curled up at my feet so that I would pet her. I have decided to name her Bellybellysunshine, as she shares a personality with my previous favorite stray kitty Mrs. Bellywhomper, who disappeared over Christmas. Bellybellysunshine wandered off after a while to chase bugs, and I continued reading the late chapters of my comfortable book. It was a nice afternoon. I hope I can remember it.

P.S. I just watched Life in the Undergrowth Ep. 3: The Silk Spinners, which starts out showing glow worm strands. They are beautiful! More pics can be found here.

No comments: