Wednesday, April 23, 2008

15 Things Kurt Vonnegut Said Better than Anyone Else Ever Has or Will

Here's an article about Vonnegut's legacy published shortly after his death:
15 Things Kurt Vonnegut Said Better than Anyone Else Ever Has or Will
Put Vonnegut at the top of my list of cool people I have never met but am so so sad are dead. I avoid reading Vonnegut books that I have not read yet because I know there are only so many and I don't want to run out. In the meantime, I've read Breakfast of Champions and Slaughterhouse Five three times each.

Here are some quotes picked out in this article:
  • "I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'"
    I know this one is obvious and sappy, but it is like the point of me writing this blog -- directly and actively thinking about the little things in my day that have made me giggle[snort], or say "in't that peerrty", or type "heehee" [p.s. I just typed "heehee" to choseamanouille because he typed the word "poopoo" to me. "poopoo" is funny.], and definitely anything that the smart part of my brain says, hmm, I hope I remember that later on. Anyways, there's "hard" scientific evidence that doing this will increase my happiness by at least 25% :).
  • "She was a fool, and so am I, and so is anyone who thinks he sees what God is doing."

    A couple of pages into Cat's Cradle, protagonist Jonah/John recalls being hired to design and build a doghouse for a lady in Newport, R.I., who "claimed to understand God and His Ways of Working perfectly." With such knowledge, "she could not understand why anyone should be puzzled about what had been or about what was going to be." When Jonah shows her the doghouse's blueprint, she says she can't read it. He suggests taking it to her minister to pass along to God, who, when he finds a minute, will explain it "in a way that even you can understand." She fires him. Jonah recalls her with a bemused fondness, ending the anecdote with this Bokonon quote. It's a typical Vonnegut zinger that perfectly summarizes the inherent flaw of religious fundamentalism: No one really knows God's ways.

    Vonnegut was one of the best atheists evah. He gets the "you buuurrrn" zinger in there without all the holier-than-thou vitriol (and just plain dumbdumbness) of a Christopher Hitchens. Hey, do you think it is coincidence that Vonnegut and Mark Twain are similar looking?
    Maybe that is just in my own lesion-induced universe in which all people with poofy white hair and mustaches look the same.
  • "Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'"
    Ditto what I said in the first bullet. I whole-heartedly agree with this. This is the reason that this blog is publicly readable. Maybe someday somebody will agree with what I am saying and send a little affirmation my way :).
  • "Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"
    Just an excellent, excellent thing to say. I only copied and pasted it here cuz I wanted it to be part of something I made, too.
  • "I have been a soreheaded occupant of a file drawer labeled 'science fiction' ever since, and I would like out, particularly since so many serious critics regularly mistake the drawer for a urinal."
    Again, just funny, funny stuff :).
Someday, when I am feeling sad, I will have to go find my own Vonnegut quotes to add.

No comments: