Friday, July 17, 2009

sound card not working?

I just restarted my machine (running Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy) after the latest kernel update, and my sound card driver managed to disappear ... I don't know. Anyways, this site was useful in getting it back:
Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide

The solution for me involved the following steps:
  1. Try running:
    aplay -l
    and get the failure message:
    aplay: device_list:221: no soundcard found...
  2. Run
    lspci -v
    and succeed in finding my sound card:
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
  3. Figure out through googling that the driver I want is snd-hda-intel.
  4. Compile the ALSA driver using alsa-source:
    1. sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) module-assistant alsa-source
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure alsa-source
    2. Within the blue dialog box displayed, answer:
      1. Yes for ISA-PNP
      2. No for debugging
      3. Deselect "All" and select the correct driver "hda-intel".
    3. sudo module-assistant a-i alsa-source
    4. Get no errors ... good luck with that one :).
  5. Load the sound card driver just compiled:
    sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel
  6. Within this terminal, "aplay -l" now works.
  7. Ensure that the sound card driver is loaded for all sessions by adding snd-hda-intel to the end of the file /etc/modules.

No comments: