Tuesday, January 12, 2010

why aren't my videos playing in powerpoint?


New Powerpoint-video-embedding tip: I've just figured out why some of my videos were refusing to play in Powerpoint. Here are the original symptoms. The videos were encoded with Xvid (using VirtualDub). Other videos encoded in exactly the same way were playing. If I uncompressed the videos (i.e. converted to uncompressed BGR format or whatever it is called), the videos would play in Powerpoint. Here was the problem: apparently Powerpoint didn't like the names of the videos. They were too long or something. Of course, the names were the same for the uncompressed versions, so apparently the names were too long to use the Xvid codec with Powerpoint? I don't know.

[Picture by Alexander Alexeieff, from A Journey Around My Skull]

No comments: