Wednesday, December 17, 2008

kristin's wisdom of the day

Here's a question I've been pondering since 15 minutes ago when I was deciding what to eat for supper, something my decades of education have not yet prepared me for:
How long do hot dogs last in your refrigerator once they've been opened?
It seems like a hot dog should be one of those things that doesn't go bad cuz it's pre-cooked and full of salt, preservatives, and other unnatural ingredients. Like, bacon lasts forever, right? So, I was planning on a meal of a semi-suspicious-looking, high-quality, Hebrew National All-Beef hot dog wrapped in a tortilla (I don't have any bread). But, I was told not to eat it, even though I had already cooked it and covered it in mustard, and it smelled really tasty, as it has been many weeks since I bought and opened the package. Alas, I ended up eating a plain tortilla for supper. Woe is me.

So, how long does a hot dog last once the package has been opened? May the world never know? I think that some scientific experiments should be performed to answer this question, but, until I have more proof, I will use the wisdom offered here: one week is safe, and the tasty tasty benefits of trying three weeks probably do not outweigh the unpleasantness of potential food poisoning.

2 comments:

Living 40+ said...

Hi,
it has just come to my attention that you are using my art work on your blog without permission...not sure how I feel about this...

Monica

jubjub said...

sorry, i didn't mean to offend. i tried to link to and cite you and your page. i will remove the image. i'm sure you know this, but in general, links to your site improve its visibility, so i meant to be flattering. by the way, this is more of a diary than a blog, as no one reads it but me. it is mainly links to things i see on the web that i would maybe like to remember someday.