Sunday, January 25, 2009

this is what a zither is

In case you were wondering what a zither is (and whether an instrument with 30+ strings was a sither and whether to offer advice at the card table was to kibitz or to kibits [xword], it is that instrument played in "The Third Man" theme music, and shown in the intro to the movie:
[[Embedded YouTube Video Anton Karas Zither]]

You know what G.I. Joe would say. Well, I know. "Now we know, and knowing is half the battle!"

By the way, Kyle tells me that there was no actual character named G.I. Joe in the cartoon, just characters with more in-your-face names like Sgt. Slaughter, Cobra Commander, and Snow Job (? Apparently, he's the original "arctic trooper"). 
Ooh! There is rain and thunder outside right now!

1 comment:

Bill Butler said...

I couldn't help but click on your post with a title lake that. I've always wondered what a zither was. And that theme from "The Third Man" is one of my favorites too.

Thank you!